Bad haircut? “Don’t worry! Hair grows back.”
Sometimes people don’t bother to choose cuts according to their face shape and hair type.
Hence they end up having a bad haircut. Going for a haircut, people used to have an image of how they will look after cutting their hairs.
Sometimes the result is according to their expectations, sometimes not. As hairstylists are not magicians, we have to communicate with them properly about what kind of style we are looking for, to avoid any kind of inconvenience. Before going to the salon, take a little bit of time and go through your Pinterest account or ask google which haircut will suit your face cut.
Sometimes a hairstyle looks good on a Pinterest board but you may face difficulty carrying that style in your daily life routine. So consult an expert as well.
In case you didn’t do any research or were unable to find the best haircut for you, at least ask your hairdresser before sitting on the hairdresser’s chair. Ask him which hair cut will be best for your hair type and face shape. If you have thin hair, don’t insist on your hairdresser to make bangs, as not all haircuts go well with all hair texture.
Before choosing a salon, do some research on whether they have a good reputation in haircuts or not. Don’t waste your time and money on a “blah” salon.
How to deal with a bad haircut
Here are some tricks on how to roll with a bad haircut.
Be specific while telling your stylist what kind of hairstyle you want. Tell me about how much length you want to keep after a haircut. State clearly if you do not agree with your stylist’s suggestions. During the haircut, be attentive and ask him to stop if you are not liking the style.
Occasionally you get a bad haircut or you can say it always happens. So it is very likely that you are not communicating with your stylist properly. Remember, they cannot read your mind, So an easy solution is that you must have a picture of the haircut, especially when it is exactly
what you want. It is possible to make one or possibly two changes to the way the picture looks and still be OK. If you want three or more changes, it means you want a different haircut and you need to look for a new picture.
If your hair looks good in a week or so, then the finish may not be the way you like it. Feel free to tell the stylist how you usually finish your hair, ie. flat brush instead of round, etc. Or
it may be that your hair is in "shock" from being cut and needs a little time to lay in properly. If you are still not happy with your cut, Go back to the person who created the really bad
haircut and ask them to provide a complimentary adjustment to the cut since it appears uneven. Politely explain if it’s uneven, your future hair will not grow out properly.
One danger with going back and asking for an adjustment is that your hair will be cut much shorter than you might like. Be prepared for that danger and if you do go back, ask if they can even out the cut without going shorter.
You might also take a photo of your normal style and how you like it and ask if they can adjust your hair to look closer to how you like it.
Consider different hairstyle
Since your hair is already cut, why not take the opportunity to try out something completely different? If you decide to white knuckle the growing out phase, consider changing up your entire style as a change of pace. You can also alter the texture by amping it up or you can completely go straighter. Switch from soft to hard edges or reverse it.
You may consider having a short haircut. Ask your stylist which short haircut will suit the best on your face structure. It could be buzz cuts, crew cuts, or fades. If it still makes you look ugly, you may even want to consider a shaved head, lol.
- Part your hair differently. Sometimes a different part can make all the difference in how your hair looks.
- Change the texture. If your hair is textured, smooth it. Or vice versa.
- Wear cool headwear. Slouchy beanies are very trendy and they look good with any type of fashions or weather conditions. If you don’t like beanies, try cool Fedoras, baseball caps, berets or whatever style you love.
- Do daily scalp massages to speed up your growth cycle.
- Clip-in some cool colors to redirect attention away from the cut and towards an edgy statement.
- Consider a full head of clip-in extensions, bang extensions, or a clip-on pony. Male or females can take advantage of those options.
- If you normally wear your hair down on your forehead, reverse it, and wear it brushed up and off the hairline. Or if you wear it up off your forehead, wear it down or sweep it over to one side.
- Take this opportunity to experiment with different styling products. If you normally use gel, switch to cream or wax or spray. Or vice versa.
- Practice patience? Or just cut it super short and let it grow. The nice thing about hair, it regrows. Again, a bad cut sucks big time, but all you can do is wait.
- Take the opportunity to start a new blog or Instagram or other account focused on your current hair challenge and document how you deal with it.
- Have fun. Sometimes life hands you lemons. Make some lemonade and enjoy the opportunity to rise to a new challenge. Your hair will grow back, but why not use this bad Haircut Period to think outside the box, have fun with your hair and put yourself into a new hair zone which could launch a new look for your future.